Montenotte House was built around 1870 for then Lord Mayor, Francis Lyons. Set on a site of about five acres of lawn and foliage on the Middle Glanmire Road, it is of neo-classical design, rectangular in plan with basement, two principal floors and an attic. The highlight is the entrance hall which is colonnaded and has a marble staircase. In 1887 it was sold by Francis Lyons to the Irish Sisters of Charity who established an asylum for the blind there.
Later it passed to the Irish Red Cross Society which established a tuberculosis preventorium for children. In late 1959 it was sold, complete with furniture, to Cope Foundation (then known as Cork Poliomyelitis and General Aftercare Association) for the bargain price of £1,000. Montenotte House became the home of the Association’s Queen of the Angels School (a school and residential centre for young people with disabilities).
It remains the property of Cope Foundation today but its use has changed through the years. Today, Montenotte House is used by Cope Foundation for some of its administrative offices, a library and training/ meeting rooms.