Christchurch is located on South Main Street, once the main street of medieval Cork. The present-day church sits on the site of two previous churches, the first dating from around 1050 AD, the second an Anglo-Norman Structure dating from around 1180 AD.
Present day Christchurch is an 18th century neoclassical Georgian building (1720) designed by architect John Coltsman with later renovations carried out by George Richard Pain in 1825.
Christchurch was the main civic church of the city from the mid-17th to the mid-19th century and was the burial place of some of the chief citizens of Medieval Cork. The best-known tombstone within Christchurch is that of “The Modest Man”, which was dedicated to twice Mayor of Cork Thomas Ronan (d 1554). It is visible near the Stone Stairs of Christchurch.
Triskel Christchurch invites you to join us on a guided tour of our historic building on Cork Heritage Open Day. We will have one tour at 11am and another at 3pm. Each tour will last approx. 1 hour.
For more information, contact Triskel Box Office Tel 021 4272022.