|Address||Fitzgerald Park, Mardyke Walk, Cork.|
|Opening Hours||11 am - 4 pm. Closed for lunch at 1 pm - 2.15 pm (open through lunch on Cork Heritage Open Day 23rd August 2014)|
The Cork Public Museum is located in Fitzgerald Park on Mardyke Walk along the City's western corridor. The museum was originally a private residence built by Charles Beamish in 1845 on land purchased from the Duke of Devonshire. Following the completion of the house the grounds (now Fitzgerald Park) were laid out with a fantastic variety of shrubs and trees.
In 1886 the house became the home of the Bons Secours Sisters. During the later 19th century it became a private residence for Mr. Barry J. Sheehan (1880) and Mr. Cornelius Desmond (1897) respectively. It was sold in 1901 to the Incorporated Cork International Association. During the Exhibition of 1902/03 the Committee used the house for visiting dignitaries, who included King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
Having been handed over to the Corporation for the people of Cork the house became a museum in 1910. Following a Historical Exhibition in 1942 the building was reopened to the public in 1945. It was administered by UCC intil 1963 and since then directly by the City Council.
A modern extension was added to the building in recent times and includes temporary and permanent exhibition spaces. It is connected to the original building at its North West corner. It is envisaged that the house, which is currently undergoing restoration work, will provide an education room for visitors and students alike.
The collection within the museum is wide ranging in terms of scope and contains items from abandoned Ogham standing stones to War of Independence momorabilia. Exhibits on display range from those reflecting Cork's strong sporting tradition to artificats associated with Michael Collins.
As part of Heritage Week, a short film entitled the Barreltop will be shown in the Traveller Culture Exhibit Room. In addition Cork Public Museum are delighted to announce the opening of its newest attraction for Heritage Week 2014. This indoor replica trench will take visitors into the dark, cramped and life-threatening existence experienced by thousands of soldiers during the Great War. The ‘trench’ has come to symbolise the pointlessness of the war, but also the sincere bravery and courage shown by those, who had to endure it. This is the first such exhibition to be undertaken in the south of Ireland and will remain a permanent fixture until at least 2018.
This exhibition is wheel-chair accessible. All children under 12 must be supervised. Due to a lack of space, no buggies, scooters, or bikes will be permitted.