|Address||Bob and Joan's Walk, Shandon, Cork.|
|Opening Hours||2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. (garden & grounds only)|
Skiddy’s Almshouse, located on the east side of St. Anne's Shandon graveyard, was built in 1718. The Almshouse is an L-shaped building with a fine stone arcade on the ground floor. The building is enclosed by a ten foot wall and a large iron gate.
Skiddy’s charity was founded by Stephen Skiddy, a London wine merchant and a native of Cork. In his will of 1584 he bequeathed a sum of £24 per annum to the Mayor of Cork City, for 10 of the city’s “honnestest poorest persons” aged 50 and over to be housed in an Almshouse.
Records show that the first Almshouse connected with Skiddy’s was erected in 1620 by the City Council near the North Gate Bridge and by 1716 it was occupied by “18 poor decayed housekeepers”. This was sold in 1718 and the proceeds were used to build the larger Skiddy’s Almshouse.
In 1963 the home was moved to the southside of the city. The Cork Preservation Society came up with proposals for the reuse of the building to prevent its demolition. A restoration scheme began in 1975 and the building was transformed into flats.
In 2000 it was purchased by Social Housing Development Company a not for profit, voluntary housing co-operative and converted into 14 social housing units and currently houses 15 people in six 2 bed-roomed units and eight 1 bed-room units.
The building is a significant contributor to the architectural and social heritage of Cork City as few 18th century institutional buildings survive in the city and it has provided housing for people for almost 300 years.